Monday, June 13, 2011

In Defense of the Comic Book

The other day I needed to run into Macey's really fast a grab just a few things, and 45 minutes later, I walked out of the store with my two items. No, the lines were not excruciatingly long, nor was I looking for some obscure object. I got distracted--shocker, right? I was taking a shortcut thought the normally empty magazine aisle when I something caught my eye. I'll be honest, it was the amount of magazines with Justin Beiber's face on them! The kid has a magazine showing his face for every year he has been alive! As I was counting how many Beiber Fever articles I could see, two magazines caught my eye. One was a comic book on Thor and the other was Marvel and the top comics turned movie in 2011. I thought of how Matt has been blogging about comics all semester long, and I realized that I don't think I have ever actually read a comic book. I picked up the one about Thor and skimmed it, but soon flipped to the first page and started reading. I moved onto the Marvel comic/movie magazine. This one kinda shocked me. I guess I had never fully realized that movies like Batman, Green Lantern and Spiderman all came from a comic book! I am a staunch believer that the books are always better than the movies, and I always try to read the book before seeing the movie, yet I never extend this rule to the superheros! Matt's topic is way bigger than I thought, and I now realize that comic book are being overlooked! So, thanks Matt for making a bold move and arguing on behalf of comic books.

No comments:

Post a Comment