Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I Want to Hear From YOU!

I am currently studying EB White's story Charlotte's Web for my English 295 Advanced Writing in the Digital Era course. I was given the chance to pick my own book to study, and I have loved diving deeper into this classic children story. But I want to hear YOUR thoughts:

When was the first time you read the story?
Who/How did you first discover this story?
What are the major themes inside?
What do you think the author wants to teach via this story?
What is your favorite part? Character?
Do you think this story should be taught and read in public schools?

Don't feel like you have to answer all of these questions, but any input would be great. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. I have actually never read the book sadly. The first time I have run into the story was on TV as a kid. I saw the cartoon movie. All I remember was the rat and the baby spiders that flew away. I always found the story creepy as a kid because that was the first time I learned that spiders could fly... spiders creeped me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My third grade teacher, Mrs. Arnell, read the story to our class and I loved it. I also already knew the story pretty well as the movie is a family classic. ;) However, it has been a loooong time since I actually "read" the book, but I think one of the major themes would be the value of friendship and sacrifice for one another. The author may have been trying to emphasize individual talents as well, such as Charlotte's weaving and writing abilities. I definitely think the book has a lot of value in the classroom. It is a classic after all! My favorite character is Templeton, escpecially the fair scene...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the story for my reading class in second grade. I agree with Holly about the major themes of the book. Charlotte's Web should be taught in the classroom for both its literary value and the messages that it teaches. My favorite character is probably Charlotte, with her cleverness and value of friendship.

    ReplyDelete